Australian team for Junior Track Worlds
Cycling Australia is pleased to announce the 14 strong Australian under 19 team selected to contest the UCI Junior Track World Championships being staged in Moscow, Russia from 17 to 21 August.
The team includes Queensland's Taylah Jennings who recently claimed the U19 Champion of Champion's jersey at the Scody Cycling Australia Track National Championships raced at Dunc Gray Velodrome in Sydney.
Jennings dominated her competition to collect six medals, including three gold, from the six events she contested.
The 16 year old won the keirin, omnium and scratch race, claimed silver in the time trial and points race and was third in the individual pursuit. She is based in Rockhampton and is coached by Reg Tucker, the early coach of Olympic and World Champion Anna Meares.
"She is my idol, a really good role model, especially as she is from Queensland," said Jennings after her Championships campaign. "At training I am always reminded of her, I am kind of expected to be her, so it gives me the drive to be like her.
Jaron Gardiner and Luke Parker earned a berth after being members of the victorious Victorian team sprint trio that set an Australian All-Comers and Championship record earlier this month. Gardiner also earned silver in both the kilometre time trial and sprint. They'll be joined in the sprint group by Timothy McMillan who won the keirin and sprint and was second in the team sprint and third in the kilometre.
Meantime the versatile Rick Sanders comes into the team after winning the scratch race and kilometre time trial at the nationals and claiming silver in the omnium. He was also in the gold medal winning Victorian U19 teams pursuit quartet.
New South Wales pair Jackson Law and Caleb Ewan are the reigning Australian champions in the U19 men's Madison. Ewan also pocketed gold in the omnium and points race at the nationals.
Queenslander Emily Roper won the U19 individual pursuit and was second in the omnium at the Australian championships while Melbourne cyclist Adele Sylvester won double gold through wins in the 500m time trial and sprint.
The team for the 2011 UCI Junior Track World Championships is listed below.
- Jack Cummings (Endeavour Hills, VIC 02.01.1994)
- Alexander Edmondson (Stirling, SA 22.12.1993)
- Caleb Ewan (Bowral, NSW 07.11.1994)
- Jaron Gardiner (Miners Rest, VIC 10.03.1993)
- Jackson Law (Balgownie, NSW 02.02.1993)
- Timothy McMillan (Woronora Heights, NSW 10.12.1993)
- Alexander Morgan (Mitcham, VIC 18.07.1994)
- Luke Parker (Ormond, VIC 21.10.1993)
- Rick Sanders (Heatherton, VIC 03.05.1993)
- Georgia Baker (Perth, TAS 21.09.1994)
- Taylah Jennings (The Range, QLD 18.05.1994)
- Allee Proud (Mt Hawthorn, WA 26.02.1994)
- Emily Roper (Elanora, QLD 24.07.1994)
- Adele Sylvester (Hawthorn East, VIC 02.11.1993)